Can a Mexican citizen move to Canada?

Welcome to the website of the Federal Foreign Office

11/16/2018 - FAQ

Please understand that questions that are already listed in this catalog with the corresponding answer will not be answered individually.

Germany is still not a classic immigration country that sets annual immigration quotas like the USA, Canada or Australia.

Apart from family reunification with close family members who already have a permanent right of residence in Germany, which was already possible under the former Aliens Act, the Immigration Act now also opens up opportunities for permanent labor migration, especially for highly qualified and self-employed people.

Further information is available from the German diplomatic mission responsible for your place of residence.

German missions abroad

You can also find information on the websites of the Federal Ministry of the Interior and the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees.

Every country has its own peculiarities. We know what it is like when Germany becomes a new home. Many of us have had this experience. In four languages, we offer important tips on asylum, housing, health, work and training, as well as on daycare, studies and much more. Handbook Germany gives valuable answers from A-Z on life in Germany in several languages.

Foreign nationals from countries outside the European Economic Area are only allowed to work in Germany if their residence permit allows it.

The labor market access of foreigners is limited by the employment ordinance. In principle, access to the labor market is restricted to certain occupational groups and generally requires the prior consent of the labor administration. However, there are numerous exceptions to this principle. Access to the German labor market has also been further liberalized in recent years through various legal measures.

For the unskilled or low-skilled, there are still only limited opportunities to access the labor market. For well-qualified foreigners, e.g. academically trained specialists, on the other hand, the legal hurdles for taking up work in Germany have been further reduced.

For academics with a recognized university degree, for example, since August 1, 2012, there has been easier access to the labor market via the “EU Blue Card”. In addition to proof of qualification, all that is required for this is proof of a specific job offer for which an annual gross salary of at least 56,800 euros (2021) is paid. The approval of the Federal Employment Agency is not required.

For specialists from the fields of mathematics, IT, natural sciences and technology as well as doctors, the provisions regarding the “EU Blue Card” also apply if they earn as much as comparable domestic employees, but at least 44,304 euros (2021). In this case, however, the Federal Employment Agency must agree to the employment.

Simplified regulations for access to the labor market also apply, for example, to scientists, highly qualified people, managers, executives and specialists.

Also for professionally qualified foreigners, e.g. nurses, the possibilities for the recognition of professional qualifications acquired abroad have been improved. In addition, access to the German labor market in shortage occupations is also possible here without a prior priority check, provided that the qualifications of the skilled workers according to the Recognition Act are equivalent to a German professional qualification.

Further information on the recognition of professional qualifications acquired abroad can be found on the website

Job search in Germany

Since August 1, 2012, university graduates who have a German university degree recognized in Germany or a foreign university degree comparable to a German university degree have the opportunity to enter Germany to look for a job. With the job search visa, a stay of up to six months is possible in order to look for a job. In addition to the university degree, only proof of livelihood security for the planned period of stay is required. While looking for a job, it is not permitted to take up employment or self-employment.

How do I get a work visa?

The website of the Federal Ministry of the Interior also offers extensive information:

Immigration is the future

The Federal Office for Migration and Refugees also provides information on its website:

Working in Germany as a non-EU citizen

You can also find helpful information on the employment agency's website:

Migration check

as well as under:

Make it in Germany

For specialists in the field of information and communication technology, there is the possibility of obtaining a residence permit for the purpose of exercising a job. In any case, a specific job offer is a prerequisite.

Granting a EU blue map or the corresponding entry visa for IT specialists is possible from an annual salary of 44,304 euros (2021).

If there is no concrete job offer, it is possible to apply for a job search visa.

A quick check to check whether and when admission to the labor market is possible and further information on the subject of "Working in Germany" can be found on the employment agency's website:

Federal Employment Agency - Migration Check

You will also find extensive information on the subject of “Immigration to Germany” on the website of the Federal Ministry of the Interior.

Information on the website of the Federal Ministry of the Interior


Innovative people from abroad should be able to set up companies in Germany under easier conditions and contribute to the creation of new jobs here. The regulations in residence law that have been in effect since August 2012 offer company founders further incentives to decide to invest in Germany and give the federal states more leeway in examining the chances of success of the various business models.

Further information is available from the German diplomatic mission responsible for your place of residence.

The visa must in principle before entry can be applied for at the responsible German diplomatic mission abroad.

In any case, meaningful documents on qualifications and the intended activity (e.g. specific job offer, job description, sample of the employment contract) as well as documents on the planned accommodation in the Federal Republic of Germany (e.g. rental agreement, etc.) must be submitted. You can find details of the documents to be provided for the visa application on the website of the responsible German diplomatic mission abroad.

Applicants can also obtain the visa application form for a long-term stay (over 3 months) free of charge from the respective diplomatic mission. Application forms for a long-term stay can also be downloaded from the link below (visa requirements).

Nationals of Australia, Great Britain, Israel, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, South Korea, and the United States of America can obtain the required residence permit even after entry catch up. Responsible is the immigration authority of the place where the foreigner will take up residence in Germany.

The EU Blue Card is a residence permit issued by a member state of the European Union for the purpose of taking up employment in the respective member state for nationals of third countries.

The basis for the EU Blue Card is the EU Directive 2009/50 / EC. The EU Blue Card is intended in particular to enable highly qualified third-country nationals to stay in the EU in order to counter the expected or existing shortage of skilled workers in many employment sectors.

In Germany, the EU Blue Card has been the main residence permit for academic professionals from abroad since August 1, 2012. It is issued in a simplified procedure without the involvement of the Federal Employment Agency. Requirements:

  • The applicant must provide evidence of a university degree.
  • A minimum gross salary of 56,800 euros (2021) must be complied with.

In so-called shortage occupations, in which there is a high number of vacant positions in Germany, the lower salary limit is 44,304 euros (2021). This applies e.g. B. for doctors, engineers, but also for scientists, mathematicians and IT specialists. In order to rule out abuse, the Federal Employment Agency carries out a comparability test with regard to working conditions such as working hours and salary.

The EU Blue Card offers numerous privileges for immigrants and their families. So z. B. an early permanent right of residence to potential applicants to plan their future in Germany in the long term: an unlimited settlement permit can be obtained after a stay of 33 months. If German language skills at level B1 can be proven, the settlement permit is even issued after 21 months.

In Germany, the EU Blue Card is issued exclusively by the immigration authorities. Third countries that require a visa will be issued a national visa for employment by the relevant German diplomatic mission abroad for entry in those cases in which there is a right to the issue of the EU Blue Card. The visa will be replaced by the responsible immigration authority with an EU Blue Card after entry.

More information can be found here:

Make-it-in Germany

Information from the employment agency

Information from the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees

Unfortunately, no. If you want to live and work in Germany, you would have to apply for a residence permit for Germany.

For more information, please contact the German diplomatic mission responsible for your current place of residence before entering Germany.

You can find detailed information on the website of the Federal Employment Agency.

With the support of the Federal Ministry for Family, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth, with the participation of all relevant associations and au pair agencies, we have succeeded in creating the "Au-pair seal of quality", a visible quality feature that ensures reliable placement and support during the Au pair year. Further information can be found here:

Gütegemeinschaft Au-pair e.V.

Many diplomatic missions abroad also offer special information on the visa procedure for a stay as an au pair in Germany on their website.

Working Holiday programs exist with Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Chile, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand, Taiwan and Uruguay.

The programs are designed to give young people between the ages of 18 and 30 the opportunity to gain an insight into the culture and everyday life of the other country. They allow stays of up to 12 months. Vacation jobs can be accepted to provide additional financing for the stay.

Australian, Israeli, Japanese and New Zealand citizens can apply for the residence permit at any German diplomatic mission or at the responsible German immigration authority after entering the country.
Argentine, Chilean and Uruguayan citizens can apply for the residence permit at any German diplomatic mission abroad that is authorized to issue a visa.
Korean citizens can only apply for the residence permit at the Seoul embassy, ​​Taiwanese only at the German Institute Taipei.
Due to the special status of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, the necessary visas can only be applied for at the Consulate General in Hong Kong. Applicants must be based in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region.
Brazilian citizens can only apply for the required residence permit at the German diplomatic missions in Brazil.

You can find more information on the duration of the application process, the documents to be submitted, fees, etc. on the website of the respective German diplomatic mission abroad.

Interested Germans should contact the respective foreign representations in Germany, in the case of Taiwan the Taipei representations in Berlin, Frankfurt, Hamburg or Munich, in the case of Hong Kong the Chinese embassy or the Chinese consulates general in Germany (or the responsible immigration authority in Hong Kong ).

All interested parties are advised to check the respective working conditions before taking on vacation jobs.

The Youth Mobility Program (YMP) between Germany and Canada is intended to give young people between the ages of 18 and 35 the opportunity to gain work experience in the other country, to travel and to gain insights into culture and society.

Visas are issued for a period of up to 12 months.

The following people can take part in the Youth Mobility Program:

  • young nationals who want to combine a tourist stay and work
  • Students who are going to complete a study or training-related internship and already have an internship
  • young professionals who want to further their specialist training and who already have an employment contract
  • Canadian students in post-secondary education who completed the
    want to pursue gainful employment during academic vacations

Participation is possible a maximum of two times. The new residence permit required for this can be applied for at the immigration authorities in Germany.

Canadian citizens can apply for the residence permit at any German diplomatic mission abroad before starting their stay abroad. Interested Germans should contact the Canadian Embassy in Berlin.

ask To issue a visa, please contact the relevant embassy or consulate general; not to the Foreign Office.

Canadian Embassy Berlin

German representations in Canada

German law no longer recognizes the term “work permit”. Rather, a foreigner is permitted to take up gainful employment if this is stipulated in the Residence Act or if his / her residence permit expressly permits the exercise of gainful employment. In principle, an internship is considered to be gainful employment. However, the following internships are not considered gainful employment, provided that their duration does not exceed 90 days in a period of twelve months:

1. Internships that were arranged by the Federal Employment Agency as holiday employment.

2. Internships that are completed during a stay for the purpose of school training or studies that are a prescribed part of the training or that are demonstrably necessary to achieve the training objective.

3. Internships within the framework of a program financially supported by the EU or bilateral development cooperation (e.g. Leonardo da Vinci, Socrates, Tempus). For more information, see the EU link set below.

4. Internships as part of an international exchange program by associations, public institutions or student organizations to students or graduates of foreign universities in agreement with the Federal Employment Agency.

5. Government internships financed by German public funds, funds from the EU or international intergovernmental organizations.

6. Specialized internships during studies at a foreign university, which are carried out after the fourth semester in a subject-specific manner in agreement with the Federal Employment Agency.

Citizens who need a visa to visit Germany (see list) generally also need a visa to complete an internship and must apply for this at the responsible German diplomatic mission before entering the country.

Citizens who do not need a visa to visit Germany (see list) only need a visa for the above-mentioned internships according to case types 1 to 6 if the internship lasts more than 90 days.

For citizens of EU and EEA countries, different regulations apply to taking up work in Germany. These also extend to the completion of internships.

List of states on visa requirements

EU programs

The practice of certain professions (e.g. lawyer, auditor, teacher, physiotherapist, doctor, nurse, midwife, pharmacist, architect) is linked to the possession of certain certificates of qualification. You must have the body responsible for the recognition of the respective qualification checked whether the professional qualification you have acquired abroad is sufficient to carry out the work you are aiming for in Germany.

All persons with a foreign professional qualification have a legal right to a procedure for the recognition of their foreign qualifications - regardless of nationality and residence status. You can find out exactly how the recognition procedure works and what opportunities there are to start your career in the advice provided by the IQ funding program. Over 100 advice centers and more than 60 mobile offers provide individual, free advice. Advice is given in person, by email or by phone.

Further information on the subject of recognition of professional qualifications can be found at:

· Recognition in Germany

· Information portal for foreign professional qualifications

Also interesting for you:

For the recognition of degrees and academic achievements forPurpose of university admission and access to further studies the German universities are responsible. For the evaluation of foreign university entrance qualifications there, the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB) of the Standing Conference of Ministers of Education (KMK) issues country-specific recommendations. These can be viewed in the ZAB database (section "Certificate evaluations").

The recognition of foreign educational certificates for theTaking up a profession is incumbent on the recognition bodies in the German federal state in which an applicant has his place of residence or would like to take up residence. The "Act to improve the determination and recognition of professional qualifications acquired abroad" passed by the federal government, which came into force on April 1, 2012, facilitates the recognition of professional qualifications acquired abroad. The federal law considerably expands the claims to the assessment of foreign professional qualifications in the area of ​​responsibility of the federal government and creates procedures that are as uniform and transparent as possible; Among other things, it brings with it the legal right to an assessment procedure for around 350 non-regulated professions (training professions in the dual system according to the Vocational Training Act and in the skilled trades). You can find more about this on the “Recognition in Germany” page of the Federal Institute for Vocational Education and Training, in the ZAB database (under the heading “Documents” or “Responsible bodies in Germany”) and on the website of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research.