What made Alphonso mangoes so special
Preparation tips for the mango
Unlike in Europe, it is z. B. in Asian countries it is unusual to throw away the valuable mango peel. It is often simply eaten. Of course, it is particularly important to use organic mangoes. Since there are urushiole in the bowl, which can cause skin irritation if you are sensitive, you should exercise caution the first time.
If you simply don't like the peel, after thorough washing, peel the mango with a vegetable peeler (or with a special mango knife) and then cut it lengthways with two parallel cuts - each on the side of the core. This creates two halves that you can cut into fine strips or cubes depending on the recipe. You can then remove the pulp remaining on the core with a sharp knife.
If the fruit is already quite ripe, the peeler is not so suitable. You can cut through the unpeeled mango and then spoon it out like a kiwi or conjure up a so-called "mango hedgehog". To do this, simply scratch the pulp of the two halves crosswise without damaging the skin, so that a grid pattern is created. If you then turn the mango halves inside out, the mango cubes are great for eating or processing.
Mango - a seductive exotic in the kitchen
The flesh of the ripe mango is very juicy and - depending on the variety - has a very sweet or slightly sour taste. The aroma is a bit reminiscent of a peach.
The mango fruit is an all-rounder in the kitchen, because it tastes just as delicious on its own as it does in sweet dishes, for example in fruit salads, muesli, as a topping for cakes or in sorbets or ice creams. You can also process mangoes into compote, jam, puree (without industrial sugar) or juice. Mango juice and mango puree are great for making cocktails, bowls, smoothies and other fruity drinks.
In addition, the sweet mango also goes very well with hearty and fiery dishes, e.g. B. in salad, combined with avocado, chicory or radiccio, in soup, in vegetable stew - for example with kohlrabi, celery tuber and tomatoes - or in curry with coconut milk and whole grain basmati rice.
In Indian cuisine, unripe, tart mangoes are often used, either pure - seasoned with salt or chilli - or in the production of mango chutneys, which, by the way, are an excellent accompaniment to legumes.
In addition, unripe mangoes are popular in India, Nepal, Pakistan and Bangladesh to make mango pickles. These are mangoes pickled in oil, spices and salt, which are also mixed with other types of fruit and vegetables - e.g. B. with limes, garlic, ginger, carrots or cauliflower - can be combined (mixed pickles).
Last but not least, filleted mangoes are ideal for beautifully decorating cold platters and plates.
Your donation helps us
If you enjoyed this article, we would appreciate a small contribution to our work! Donate now with Paypal.
Distance training to become a holistic nutritionist
Are you interested in what's in our food and want to know how nutrients and vital substances affect the body? Do you want a healthy life for yourself, your family and fellow human beings? Nutritionists are popular - but the holistic aspect that is needed for sustainable health is often forgotten when giving advice. At the Academy of Naturopathy, you will get to know the connections between lifestyle and diet as well as physical and psychological well-being.
That educates interested people like you in around 16 months to become a holistic nutritionist out.
Is this article worth reading?
Share this article
- Barreto JC et al, "Characterization and quantitation of polyphenolic compounds in bark, kernel, leaves, and peel of mango (Mangifera indica L.)", J Agric Food Chem, July 2008, (The characterization and quantification of polyphenolic compounds in the bark , the leaves and the peel of the mango (Mangifera indica L.))
- Jahurul MH et al, "Mango (Mangifera indica L.) by-products and their valuable components: a review", Food Chem, September 2015, (The by-products of the Mango (Mangifera indica L.) and their valuable components: a review)
- Matkowski A et al, Mangiferin - a bioactive xanthonoid, not only from mango and not just antioxidant, Mini Rev Med Chem, March 2013, (Mangiferin a bioactive xanthonoid, not exclusively in the mango and not just an antioxidant)
- Telang M et al, "Therapeutic and cosmetic applications of mangiferin: a patent review," Expert Opin Ther Pat, December 2013, (Therapeutic and cosmetic applications of mangiferin: a patent review)
- Khurana RK et al, "Mangiferin: a promising anticancer bioactive", Pharm Pat Anal, May 2016, (Mangiferin: a promising bioactive anti-cancer agent)
- Penido AB et al, "Medicinal Plants from Northeastern Brazil against Alzheimer's Disease", Evid Based Complement Alternat Med, February 2017, (Medicinal Plants from Northeast Brazil against Alzheimer's Disease)
- Mutua JK et al, "Evaluation of the proximate composition, antioxidant potential, and antimicrobial activity of mango seed kernel extracts," Food Sci Nutr, June 2016, (The evaluation of the immediate composition, antioxidant potential and antimicrobial effects of mango seed kernel Extracts)
- Buchwald-Werner S et al, "Effects of Mangifera indica (Careless) on Microcirculation and Glucose Metabolism in Healthy Volunteers", Planta Med, February 2017, (Effects of Mangifera indica on microcirculation and glucose metabolism in healthy volunteers)
- Anantachoke N et al, "Thai Fruits Exhibit Antioxidant Activity and Induction of Antioxidant Enzymes in HEK-293 Cells," Evid Based Complement Alternat Med, December 2016, (Thai fruits exhibit antioxidant activity and induction of antioxidant enzymes in HEK-293 cells on)
- Nez Selles AJ et al, "The potential role of mangiferin in cancer treatment through its immunomodulatory, anti-angiogenic, apoptopic, and gene regulatory effects," Biofactors, September 2016, (The potential role of mangiferin in the treatment of cancer through its immunomodulatory , antiangiogenic, apoptotic and gene regulatory effects)
- Nadeem M et al, "Promising features of mango (Mangifera indica L.) kernel oil: a review," J Food Sci Technol, May 2016, (The promising properties of mango kernel (Mangifera indica L.): a review)
- Septembre-Malaterre A et al, "Evaluation of nutritional and antioxidant properties of the tropical fruits banana, litchi, mango, papaya, passion fruit and pineapple cultivated in Runion French Island", Food Chem, December 2016, (The evaluation of the nutritive and antioxidant Properties of the tropical fruits grown on the French island of Runion (banana, litchi, mango, papaya, passion fruit and pineapple)
- Mei Chung et al, "Fructose, high-fructose corn syrup, sucrose, and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease or indexes of liver health: a systematic review and meta-analysis", Am J Clin Nutr, September 2014, (Fructose, Maissirup mithoch Fructose Content, Sucrose, and Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease, or Liver Health Indexes: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis)
- Arnim CA et al, "Dietary antioxidants and dementia in a population-based case-control study among older people in South Germany", J Alzheimers Dis, April 2012, (Dietary antioxidants and dementia in a population-based case-control study with older people in South Germany)
- Chen JP et al, "Improved liquid chromatographic method for determination of carotenoids in Taiwanese mango (Mangifera indica L.)", J Chromatogr A, October 2004, (Improved liquid chromatographic method for the determination of carotenoids in Taiwanese mango (Mangifera indica L.))
- Lucas EA et al, "Mango modulates body fat and plasma glucose and lipids in mice fed a high-fat diet". Br J Nutr, November 2011, (Mango regulates body fat and plasma glucose and lipids in mice fed a high-fat diet)
- Shirley F Evans et al, "Mango Supplementation Improves Blood Glucose in Obese Individuals," Nutr Metab Insights, July 2014, (Mango Supplementation Improves Blood Glucose in Obese Individuals)
- Martin Masibo et al, "Major Mango Polyphenols and Their Potential Significance to Human Health, Food Science and Food Safety, September 2008,
- Ulrike Putz, "India's National Fruit Hundred Days Mango Intoxication", Spiegel Online, June 2014
- Richard E. Litz, "The Mango: Botany, Production and Uses," CABI, January 2009, (The Mango: Botany, Production and Uses)
- Alberto J. Nez-Sells, "Antioxidant therapy: myth or reality?", J Braz Chem Soc, July / August 2005, (Antioxidant therapy: myth or reality?)
- Fuchsia Gold-Smith et al, "Mangiferin and Cancer: Mechanisms of Action", Nutrients, July 2016, (Mangiferin and Cancer: Mechanisms of Action)
- Federal Office for Consumer Protection and Food Safety, Focus on Food: "The vitamin-rich mango residues from pesticides are occasionally too high", February 2017
Notice on health issues
This information is passed to the best of my knowledge and belief. They are intended exclusively for those interested and for further training and are in no way to be understood as diagnostic or therapeutic instructions. We do not assume any liability for damages of any kind that arise directly or indirectly from the use of the information. If you suspect illness, please consult your doctor or alternative practitioner
Subscribe to Newsletter
Exciting information about health and nutrition
1x per month
Login Successful. You will shortly receive a confirmation at the specified email address.
With your registration you allow the regular sending of the newsletter and accept the data protection regulations.
HEALTH CENTER © 2021 Neosmart Consulting AG. All rights reserved.
- What big problems does Vietnam have
- What do the Lebanese think of Armenians
- What metal is tin foil made of
- Do you think BLACKPINK deserves the hatred?
- Should Trump recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital
- Why do teenagers commit suicide
- How do you define homelessness in America
- When will aliens land
- Which rugby union position suits me
- Why is leather biodegradable
- Which combinations of planets mean permanent foreign settlement?
- Prepare your own taxes
- Was Michael Jackson a better singer or dancer
- What does the Quran say about forgiveness
- Is it difficult to earn 200,000 months in India
- What kind of ramen should I eat
- How does the animal see color
- What is the best mini uav drone build
- Should I let someone else work
- What are some free things to collect
- What is Dravida Nadu
- We live for someone else
- Are narcissists in hell