Do you have flashbacks of old dreams
Please don't: The 5 most embarrassing beginnings of novels by amateur authors
Can you tell a bad novel from the very first sentence? Our experience shows: unfortunately, yes. There are the beginnings of novels that are unlikely to be good, because they are kitschy, boring and worn out - because they are extremely popular with hobby authors.
We have compiled a list of the most embarrassing beginnings of novels that writers are better off avoiding.
5th place: The justification
Before you start, write first Why You write. Is this your first novel? What was your inspiration for the story? What is the autobiographical background? Is it all based on personal experience? Who do you have to thank for the inspiration? How do you want to bore the reader on the following pages? Which mistakes (spelling, commas, ...) should he generously forgive you now?
If you do not manage to get an exciting start, justify yourself in front of the reader in a foreword.
4th place: The outrage
Verbatim speech is always better than a lengthy description. You have certainly learned that in the last writing course. So go straight to the limit:
- "I can't believe it!" Cries Rita breathlessly as she puts down her shopping bags.
- "I'll show you!" Yelled the fat man in the undershirt from the window.
Use verbs that are onomatopoeic, if possible, and avoid the boring "saying". With this you have secured the reader's attention for the time being.
Now is the chance to explain to the reader on the next three pages exactly what happened there, either monstrous or outrageous. Describe it as precisely as possible and without gaps, because the reader is ultimately curious. Describe moods and feelings in great detail to help guide and guide the reader.
3rd place: the window
The reasons why a window is mentioned more often than average in the first two sentences of bad novels are obscure. But it's a fact. People look "lost in thought out of the window" and in almost all cases "look out". There the protagonists mostly see nocturnal street lamps, rain, fog, gray houses or the infinity of a pitch-black night sky with the moon covered by dark clouds.
If you want to look again at place 4: We have already secretly installed a window there.
2nd place: The flashback
The flashback is closely related to the outrage. Only more boring. Start with a banal sentence like: "Hans was sitting on the side of the road." Then avoid anything that advances the story, but look back. Answer burning questions to the reader like: Why is Hans sitting there? How did he get there? And what was Hans doing at this time a year ago? This is the only way you can add depth to your character and make the reader feel well informed before the plot moves on to page 10. Or even better: First write in detail how Hans feels and what he is thinking about. The action can also wait until page 20.
1st place: the awakening
Start a novel with your main character awakening. The beginning of the novel is the same as the beginning of the day: That sounds like a logical coincidence.
And as an author, you can wake up in very different ways. From a "Suddenly he was bathed in sweat" to a "When she woke up, at first she didn't know where she was".
Let the reader wake up together with the protagonist, then let them both look in the mirror together or remember the evening before. Because then you have - oh how wonderful - the possibility of a flashback! Make sure you let your protagonist look out of the window beforehand.
- Can you write a poem about India?
- How does society define religion
- What amazing things happen every 1 minute
- What is worse to die or to suffer
- Can civil society exist in authoritarian countries?
- What exactly does a salary account mean?
- How did Albania become communist
- How many people drink Starbucks every day
- What is Trump's problem with Mexicans
- What does the franchise cost for jockey
- Which led to the demise of Adobe Flash
- How do people not believe in fate
- Can a Mexican citizen move to Canada?
- What are the ten best MBA programs
- How can I hack Gmail using Android
- Are weapons dangerous to mankind
- Healthier is Maggie or Cup of Noodles
- Animals feel cold
- What's your favorite brand of candy bars
- Who is mighty India or Germany?
- How are chemicals found
- What are standards What are some examples
- What is Pakistani Nationalism
- Toilets drain sewage
- What is the CFM in HVAC
- Was Saddam Hussein a tyrant
- A recession is approaching
- Have you ever had a traumatizing dream?
- How do Italians see Poles
- Removes the use of synonyms for plagiarism
- How effective are online ASL lessons
- Why shouldn't I go to jail?
- Who is the HRD Minister of India
- Are there any authentic Irish pubs in NYC