What were the consequences of colonialism
Hanisauland: Lexicon @todo: from Preprocess
Colonialism / colonies
Subjugation of other countries
Over the past 200 years, many European states have subjugated countries in other parts of the world. These countries could not defend themselves against the overwhelming power of the Europeans and became so-called colonies. This policy of conquest is known as "colonialism". The term comes from the Latin word "colonia", which means "settlement outside the Roman citizen area".
Exploitation of the colonies
The countries were often only subjugated because the conquerors wanted to have the treasures of the foreign countries for themselves. It could be gold or diamonds. Spices, tea, coffee, tobacco or fruit were also bought for little money in foreign countries and then sold for a lot of money in their home countries.
The first colonies were conquered by the great seafaring nations Great Britain, Spain, Portugal, France and the Netherlands. Germany, which was not one of the great seafaring nations, had few colonies in Africa and Asia for a short time (until the end of the First World War). Spain, on the other hand, had large colonies in Central and South America and England in Asia and the Middle East. The colonies were administered by German, French, English and Spanish officials.
Consequences of colonialism
The people who lived in the colonies were subject to foreign rulers and often had no rights of their own. Until the outbreak of the First World War in 1914, more than half of all people in the world lived in colonies. Only after the end of the Second World War in 1945 did the European states gradually give up their colonies again, so that these countries became independent. Many of them still suffer from the fact that they were ruled by foreign states for so long.
FAQ / Frequently Asked Questions
(Frequently Asked Questions - this is the English translation of "frequently asked questions")
your further questions ...
Write us your question
Before asking a question, please read the lexicon article completely. Please see if anyone has already asked the same question. Often you will find the answer to your question there.write us
- Are there any Bengali vegetarians out there
- How do people with Aspergians behave
- Dissolve acetone plastic in water
- Can an autistic person become a therapist
- What's the worst part about being thirteen
- How do we enjoy sex
- How do Chamaeleons change their color?
- What is the RPF Age Limit
- Which is the biggest mall in Bangalore
- Why do we need a crane service
- What does mineral water mean
- Why does my size fluctuate so much
- Why don't students do well in school?
- What is microfinance
- What is working life like at RBI?
- What are the surnames of Punjabis
- Why did you settle in Goa
- Why is Buddhism not better known globally?
- Why is the stakeholder analysis important
- Dissolves something silicon
- How do you improve every day
- What exactly is a family office
- What is China's view of Tamil nationalism
- What do Turks think of Latin America
- Economists can become accountants
- How are cowboy hats made
- How has NAFTA affected the US economy?
- Is there an autistic look or gaze
- What are some examples of software packages
- Why are some people lactose intolerant
- Why do labradoodles bite
- How about childcare
- Are Patanjali oats better than Saffola oats