How will Brexit affect British passports?
Brexit: what will change for consumers?
Current Brexit status
April 28, 2021
European Parliament approves the EU-UK trade agreement.
Additional Information:European Parliament press release.
December 30, 2020: Trade Pact
The British House of Commons as well as the British House of Lords have approved the Brexit trade pact.
The Queen signed the trade pact.
December 28, 2020: Trade Pact - the formalities
The EU ambassadors voted for the provisional application of the trade pact from January 1, 2021.
The provisional application of the trade pact is necessary because there is no time for ratification by the European Parliament this year.
Ratification is scheduled for January 2021.
December 24, 2020: Trade pact between UK and EU has been concluded.
Contents of the agreement
1. No customs duties under certain conditions
There will be no mutual customs duties on the import of goods if, for example, they meet the requirements for the origin of goods or the value limits.
In addition, there are no volume restrictions on imports. The formalities for import and export should be handled as simply as possible.
Danger: Depending on which goods are involved, customs duties are due and the processing of customs formalities is often billed to consumers.
The European Commission provides further information.
Questions regarding customs can be sent directly to the German customs authority be asked.
2. Fair competition
The UK is aligning itself with EU standards on fair competition.
Associated with this is a high level of protection in terms of the environment, social and labor rights, and state aid.
3. Fishing rights for EU fishermen in UK waters
There is a 5.5-year transition phase. In this, the fishing rights for EU fishermen will be reduced by 25 percent.
From June 2026, the catch quotas are to be negotiated with the United Kingdom every year.
4. Financial services
Negotiations are ongoing on this issue. However, the question should be clarified by March 2021.
The UK's goal: access to the EU market.
Permanent connection to air, road, rail and sea transport. This means, for example, the mutual use of airports and unrestricted forwarding traffic.
6. Energy and climate
The agreements on energy trading continue.
The UK and the EU want to work together on wind farms in the North Sea.
7. Social security systems
Ensure social rights (health insurance, pensions, social benefits) for people who move to the EU or the UK after January 1, 2021.
Cooperation in the fight against crime and terrorism.
9. Participation in EU programs
The United Kingdom continues to participate in the following EU programs: Horizon Europe research program, Euratom research and training program, Iter nuclear fusion reactor project, Copernicus earth observation system, SST satellite monitoring system.
10. Conflict resolution
A conflict resolution mechanism was agreed between the UK and the EU.
The so-called Joint Partnership Council monitors the implementation of the agreement and discusses contentious issues with the UK and the EU.
There are also enforcement and dispute resolution mechanisms.
In the event of breaches of the agreement, both the UK and the EU can take cross-sectoral "retaliatory measures", including measures that affect areas not affected by the dispute.
- Who Owns Motorola
- What is a color garnet
- What dreams do you have
- Will Cristiano Ronaldo leave Real Madrid
- When are the US midterm elections
- Why can the entropy never decrease
- What are Americans most obsessed with?
- Halloween is celebrated in Australia
- What unusual properties do you consider attractive
- What happened on Friday the 13th 1307
- Are there any jobs in the Nagpur subway
- Why are most suicides committed by men?
- Do Apple employees enjoy working at Apple?
- What is the environment in China
- Has anyone tried the Yekaliva chatbot
- What words rhyme with family
- Which pizza company is the cheapest
- How is ITMO Saint Petersburg
- What should shape our identity
- Thoughts of suicide are so common
- Which leads to people sleeping easily
- How is it that Australia is not a superpower?
- Should have Jacinda Ardern worn a hijab
- Who taught you karate?