Is there a cure for Klebsiella
Therapy of ESBL infections under the aspect of "Antibiotic Stewardship"
1. Berg ML, Crank CW, Phillbrick AH, et al. Efficacy of Ertapenem for consolidation therapy of ESBL-producing Gram-negative infections. A case series report. Ann Pharmacother 2008; 42: 207-12.
2. Bodmann KF and the expert commission of the infection league. Complicated intra-abdominal infections: pathogens, resistances. Recommendations of the Infect League for antibiotic therapy. Surgeon 2010; 81: 38-41.
3. Bodmann KF, Grabein B and the expert commission of the Paul Ehrlich Society for Chemotherapy e.V. Recommendations for the calculated initial parenteral therapy for bacterial diseases in adults - Update 2010. Chemother J 2010; 19: 179–255.
4. Breier A, Sohr D, Geffers C, Gastmeier P. Pathogen of nosocomial infections in the intensive care unit. Intensivmed 2009; 46: 220-7.
5. Brink AJ, Feldmann C, Grolman DC, et al. Appropriate use of the carbapenems. SAMJ 2004; 94: 857-61.
6. Campos J, Cuevas O, Lá Zaro E, et al. Rapid increase of ciprofloxacin resistance and extended-spectrum β-lactamase production in blood isolates of Escherichia coli in relation to antibiotic consumption (Spain, 2001-2008). 49th ICAAC, San Francisco, CA, USA, September 12-15, 2009. Abstract C2-101.
7. Carmeli Y, Klarfeld Lidji S, Shabtai E, et al. The effect of group 1 versus group 2 carbapenems on imipenem-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa: an ecological study. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 2011; 70: 367-72.
8. Collins VL, Marchaim D, Pogue JM, et al. Efficacy of ertapenem for treatment of bloodstream infections caused by extended-spectrum β-lactamase-producing Enterobacteriaceae. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2012; 56: 2173-7.
9. Cordery RJ, Roberts CH, Cooper SJ, et al. Evaluation of risk factors for the acquisition of bloodstream infections with extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing Escherichia coli and Klebsiella species in the intensive care unit; antibiotic management and clinical outcome. J Hosp Infect 2008; 68: 108-15.
10. Couet W, Gregoire N, Marchand S, et al. Colistin pharmacokinetics: the fog is lifting. Clin Microbiol Infect 2012; 18: 30-9.
11. Dewhurst NF. Inadequate antibiotic therapy is associated with decreased survival in patients with extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing Enterobacteriaceae bloodstream infections. 52nd ICAAC, Sept. 9-12, 2012, San Francisco, K-1591.
12. DiNubile MJ, Friedland I, Chan CY, et al. Bowel colonization with resistant Gram-negative bacilli after antimicrobial therapy of intra-abdominal infections: observations from two randomized comparative clinical trials of ertapenem therapy. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 2005; 24: 443-9.
13. Doernberg SB, Winston LG. Risk factors for acquisition of extended-spectrum β-lactamase (ESBL) -producing Escherichia coli. 49th ICAAC, San Francisco, CA, USA, September 12-15, 2009. Abstract K-277.
14. Dorso, et al. 102nd General Meeting of the ASM, 2002, Poster A-156.
15. Dos Santos RP, Jacobi T. Antimicrobial stewardship lessons: do Pseudomonas-sparing agents, such as ertapenem, effectively improve bacterial resistance? Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2010; 54: 3076-7.
16. DuBin, Chen D, Liu D, et al. Restriction of third generation cephalosporin use decreases infection-related mortality. Crit Care Med 2003; 31: 1088-98.
17. Endimiani A, Luzzaro F, Pirelli M, et al. Bacteremia due to Klebsiella pneumoniae isolates producing the TEM-52 extended-spectrum β-lactamase: treatment outcome of patients receiving imipenem or ciprofloxacin. Clin Infect Dis 2004; 38: 243-51.
18. Fernández-Cruz A, Eworo A, Alcalá L, et al. Delay in administration of adequate antimicrobial therapy correlates with a worse prognosis in an unselected population with bloodstream infection (BSI). 49th ICAAC, San Francisco, CA, USA, Sept. 12-15, 2009. Poster K-257.
18a. Florescu DF, Qiu F, McCartan MA, et al. What is the efficacy and safety of colistin for the treatment of ventilator-associated pneumonia? A systematic review and meta-regression. Clin Infect Dis 2012; 54: 670-80.
19. Fong JJ, Rose L, Radigan EA. Clinical outcomes with ertapenem as a first-line treatment option of infections caused by extended-spectrum beta-lactamase producing Gram-negative bacteria. Ann Pharmacother 2012; 46: 347-52.
20. Friedland I, Isaacs R, Moll J, et al. Health-care associated pneumonia acquired outside the ICU: results of a randomized, double-blind study comparing ertapenem and cefepime. ECCMID Glasgow 2003; Poster P788.
21. Garonzik SM, Li J, Thamlikitkul V, et al. Population pharmacokinetics of colistin methanesulfonate and formed colistin in critically ill patients from a multicenter study provide dosing suggestions for various categories of patients. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2011; 55: 3284-94.
22. Gastmeier P. On the development of nosocomial infections in the hospital infection surveillance system (KISS). Epidemiol Bull 2011; 5: 35-7.
23. Geisel R, Schmitz FJ. Mobile genetic determinants of resistance - a challenge for hospital hygiene. In: Knoll KH (editor). Supplement 14 of the book series "Applied Hospital Hygiene - Communications for the Implementation of Hygiene Measures in Healthcare Facilities". Munich, Jena: Urban and Fischer Verlag, 2004: 141–54.
24. Goff DA, Mangino J. Ertapenem: effect on gram-negative pathogens 7 months after formulary addition (abstract K-343). 44th ICAAC, Washington, DC. Oct 30 - Nov 2, 2004; 38: 320.
25. Goff DA, Mangino JE. Ertapenem: no effect on aerobic gram-negative susceptibilities to imipenem. J Infect 2008; 57: 123-7.
26. Goff DA, Mangino JE. Impact of effective initial antibiotic therapy on clinical outcomes of patients with extended spectrum ß-lactamases (ESBL) infections. 46th ICAAC San Francisco 2006; Abstract K-1520.
27. Goldstein EJ, Citron DM, Peraino V, et al. Introduction of ertapenem into a hospital formulary: effect on antimicrobial usage and improved in vitro susceptibility of Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2009; 53: 5122-6.
28. Goldstein EJC, Citron DM, Merriam CV, et al. Comparative in vitro activities of ertapenem (MK-0826) against 1,001 anaerobic isolated from human intra-abdominal infections. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2000; 44: 2389-94.
29. Höffken G, Lorenz J, Kern W, et al. Epidemiology, diagnostics, antimicrobial therapy and management of adult patients with community-acquired lower respiratory tract infections (acute bronchitis, acute exacerbation of chronic bronchitis, influenza and other respiratory viral infections) and community-acquired pneumonia. S3 guideline of the Paul Ehrlich Society for Chemotherapy, the German Society for Pneumology and Respiratory Medicine, the German Society for Infectious Diseases and the CAPNETZ competence network. Update 2009. Chemother J 2009; 18: 189-251.
30. Isaacs R, Teppler H, Friedland I, et al. Ertapenem (ETP) for treatment of bacteremia. ICAAC San Diego 2002; Abstract L-380.
31. Kaase M, Groß A, Szabados F, et al. The fluoroquinolone resistance determinant aac (6 ') - ib-cr is carried on the same plasmid as CTX-M genes in ESBL isolates from Germany. 49th ICAAC, San Francisco, CA, USA, September 12-15, 2009. Abstract C2-714.
32. Körber-Irrgang B, Lukas A-M, Bauernfeind A, et al. Shift towards CTX-M-15 as the predominant of CTX-M extended-spectrum beta-lactamase (ESBL) produced by Escherichia coli isolates from hospitalized patients in Germany between 2005 and 2007. 50th ICAAC, Boston, MA, USA, September 12– 15, 2010. Poster C2-678.
33. Kresken M, Becker K, Seifert H, et al. Tigecycline in vitro activity against multi-drug resistant pathogens from Germany. 50th ICAAC, Boston, MA, USA, September 12-15, 2010. Poster E-1599.
34. Kresken M, Brauers J, Körber-Irrgang B. In-vitro-activity of fosfomycin against fluoroquinolone-resistant or extended-spectrum β-lactamase-producing isolates of Escherichia coli. 68th annual meeting of the DGHM September 30–10, 2007, Göttingen. Poster FTP06.
35. Kresken M, Hafner D, Schmitz FJ. Resistance to broad-spectrum antibiotics in frequently isolated Enterobacteriaceae. Chemother J 2006; 15: 178-90.
36. Kresken M. Highlights of the PEG resistance study 2007. Chemother J 2008; 5: 232.
37. Kruger M, Terreri MA, Gortz LW, et al. Cefepime is a risk factor of EXBL-Klebsiella pneumoniae bacteremia (ESBL-KB) in a hospital with high incidence. 49th ICAAC, San Francisco, CA, USA, September 12-15, 2009. Abstract K-273.
38. Lima AL, Oliveira PR, Paula AP, et al. The impact of ertapenem use on the susceptibility of Pseudomonas aeruginosa to imipenem: a hospital case study. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2009; 30: 487-90.
39. Lipsky BA, Armstrong D, Citron D, et al. The SIDESTEP study of diabetic foot infections: a multicenter, double-blinded, randomized, controlled trial of ertapenem vs. piperacillin / tazobactam. Lancet 2005; 366: 1695-703.
40. Livermore DM. Minimizing antibiotic resistance. Lancet Infect Dis 2005; 5: 450-9.
41. Lob S, Bouchillon S, Hackel M, et al Regional differences in susceptibility of E. coli in community-acquired versus hospital-associated intra-abdominal infections: SMART 2010/2011. 52nd ICAAC 2012; San Francisco, CA; C2-688.
42. Lob S, Bouchillon S, Hackel M, et al. Trends in susceptibility and ESBL production for Escherichia coli from intra-abdominal infections: SMART 2002-2011. 52nd ICAAC 2012; San Francisco, CA; C2-100.
43. Lye DC, Wijaya L, Chan J, et al. Ertapenem for treatment of extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing and multidrug-resistant Gram-negative bacteraemia. Ann Acad Med Singapore 2008; 37: 831-4.
44. Marchaim D, Lidji S, Carmeli Y, et al. National multicenter study of risk factors and outcomes of ESBL-producing Enterobacteriaceae bacteremia upon hospital admission. 49th ICAAC, San Francisco, CA, USA, September 12-15, 2009. Abstract K-274.
45. Mattner F, Bange FC, Meyer E, et al. Prevention of the spread of multi-resistant, gram-negative pathogens: Suggestions from an expert workshop of the German Society for Hygiene and Microbiology. Dtsch Ärztebl 2012; 109: 39–45.
46. Meyer E, Schwab F, Schroeren-Boersch B, Gastmeier P. Dramatic increase of third-generation cephalosporin-resistant E. coli in German intensive care units: secular trends in antibiotic drug use and bacterial resistance, 2001 to 2008. Crit Care 2010; 14: R113.
47. Munoz LS, Hvsepian M, Snydman DR, et al. Ertapenem for the treatment of extended-spectrum beta-lactamases (ESBL) producing organisms. 44th Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, Washington DC, USA 2004; Abstract: K-1591.
48. Nicolau DP. Carbapenems: a potent class of antibiotics. Expert Opin Pharmacother 2008; 9: 23-37.
49. Nicolau DP, Carmeli Y, Crank CW, et al. Carbapenem stewardship: does ertapenem affect Pseudomonas susceptibility to other carbapenems? A review of the evidence. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2012; 39: 11-5.
50. Ortega M, Marco F, Soriano A, et al. Extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing Klebsiella spp. isolates and their impact on bloodstream infection outcomes. 50th ICAAC, Boston, MA, USA, September 12-15, 2010. Poster K-610.
51. Ortiz-Ruiz G, Caballero-Lopez J, Friedland IR, et al. A study evaluating the efficacy, safety, and tolerability of ertapenem versus ceftriaxone for the treatment of community-acquired pneumonia in adults. Clin Infect Dis 2002; 34: 1076-83.
52. Owens RC. Antimicrobial stewardship: concepts and strategies in the 21st century. Diagn Microbiol Inf Dis 2008; 61: 110-28.
53. Owens RC. Antimicrobial stewardship: application in the intensive care unit. Inf Dis Clin North Am 2009; 23: 683-702.
54. Paterson DL. "Collateral damage" from cephalosporin or quinolone antibiotic therapy. Clin Infect Dis 2004; 38 (Suppl 4): S341-5.
55. Paterson DL, Ko WC, von Gottberg A, et al. Outcome of cephalosporin treatment for serious infections due to apparently susceptible organisms producing extended-spectrum ß-lactamases: implications for the clinical microbiology laboratory. J Clin Microbiol 2001; 39: 2206-12.
56. Paterson DL, Ko WC, von Gottberg A, et al. Antibiotic therapy for Klebsiella pneumoniae bacteremia: implications of production of extended-spectrum β-lactamases. Clin Infect Dis 2004; 39: 31-7.
57. Paterson DL, Ko WC, von Gottberg A, et al. International prospective study of Klebsiella pneumoniae bacteraemia: implications of extended-spectrum β-lactamase production in nosocomial infections. Ann Intern Med 2004; 140: 26-32.
58. Patterson JE, Hardin TC, Kelly CA, et al. Association of antibiotic utilization measures and control of multiple-drug resistance in Klebsiella pneumoniae. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2000; 21: 455-8.
59. Plachouras D, Karvanen M, Friberg LE. Population pharmacokinetic analysis of colistin methanesulfonate and colistin after intravenous administration in critically ill patients with infections caused by Gram-negative bacteria. AAC 2009; 53: 3430-6.
60. Rahal JJ, Urban C, Horn D, et al. Class restriction of cephalosporin use to control total cephalosporin resistance in nosocomial Klebsiella. JAMA 1998; 280: 1233-7.
61. Renteria M, Bouchillon S, Johnson B, et al. In vitro activity of tigecycline against Enterobacteriaceae with emphasis on ESBL-producing isolates in India and Israel. TEST 2007-2012. 52nd ICAAC, Sept. 9-12, 2012, San Francisco, C2-099.
62. Saely S, Kaye KS, Fairfax M, et al. Risk factors for extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae (ESBL): A focus on previous antibiotic exposure (PAE). 49th ICAAC, San Francisco, CA, USA, September 12-15, 2009. Abstract K-278.
63. Salvia A, Balice M, Vidal Samso J, et al. Risk factors for ESBL carriage at admission to rehabilitation centers. 49th ICAAC, San Francisco, CA, USA, September 12-15, 2009. Abstract K-281.
64. Schmitz FJ. Ertapenem as a therapy option. A microbiological inventory against the background of increasing antibiotic resistance. Chemother J 2006; 15: 57-68.
65. Schug-Pass C, Geers P, Hill O, et al. Prospective randomized trial comparing short-term antibiotic therapy versus standard therapy for acute uncomplicated sigmoid diverticulitis. Int J Colorectal Dis 2010; 25: 751-9.
66. Shorr AF: Review of studies of the impact on Gram-negative bacterial resistance on outcomes in the intensive care unit. Crit Care Med 2009; 37: 1463-9.
67. Solomkin JS, Yellin AE, Rotstein OD, et al. Ertapenem versus piperacillin / tazobactam in the treatment of complicated intraabdominal infections. Results of a double-blind, randomized, comparative trail. Annals Surg 2003; 237: 235-45.
68. Tellado J, Woods GL, Gesser R, et al. Ertapenem versus piperacillin-tazobactam for treatment of mixed anaerobic, complicated intra-abdominal, complicated skin and skin structure and pelvic infections. Surg Infect 2002; 3: 303-14.
69. Tumbarello M, Sanguinetti M, Montuori E, et al. Predictors of mortality with bloodstream infections caused by extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing Enterobacteriaceae: Importance of inadequate initial antimicrobial treatment. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2007; 51: 1987-94.
70. Ullmann U, Shah PM. Comparison of the in vitro activity of ertapenem with five other beta-lactam antibiotics - results of a German multicenter study. Chemother J 2005; 14: 79-83.
71. Van de Sande N, Platteel T, Muilwijk J, et al. Epidemiology of ESBLs in the Netherlands: Origin and treatment. 50. ICAAC Sept 12-15, 2010; Boston; K-607
72. Vicari G, Bauer SR, Neuner EA, et al. Association between colistin dose and microbiologic outcomes in patients with multidrug-resistant Gram-negative bacteraemia. Clin Infect Dis 2013; 56: 398-404.
73. Weber DJ. Collateral damage and what the future might hold. The need to balance prudent antibiotic utilization and stewardship with effective patient management. Int J Infect Dis 2006; 10 (Suppl 2): S17-24.
74. www.antibiotic-stewardship.dewww.p-e-g.org.Zhanel GG, Johanson C, Embil JM, et al. Ertapenem: review of a new carbapenem. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 2005; 3: 23-39.
75. Zhanel GG, Wiebe R, Dilay L, et al. Comparative review of the carbapenems. Drugs 2007; 67: 1027-52.
Prof. Dr. med. Franz-Josef Schmitz, Central Institute for Laboratory Medicine, Microbiology, Hygiene, Environmental Medicine and Transfusion Medicine, Klinikum Minden, Hans-Nolte-Straße 1, 32429 Minden, email: [email protected]
- How do you find a sugar mom
- What is a healthcare deductible
- How can i cook homemade Indian recipes
- My friend's parents don't accept me
- How can one justify religious beliefs?
- How accurate is Google Translate for Hebrew
- How do Mongols see Koreans
- What is the insurance agent's commission
- Is photography digital media
- How do Indian children betray their parents?
- What happens when a British monarch dies
- Why do more men wear jewelry
- What is my destiny 3
- India benefits the Muslim community
- When I created my Gmail account
- How does human behavior affect society 1
- India has always been a male dominated country
- Which agricultural business should I start
- Historically, did the Chinese have slaves
- Which color stands for courage
- Can a person with diabetes eat beetroot
- Is there a song called Sorry
- What are the disadvantages of being tall
- Why do I feel bored?