What is Jamaican patois
15 Jamaican patois phrases to know
'Small up yushelf'
Useful expression when using overcrowded buses or taxis. Small on itself literally means making some space.
Jamaican people wait for the bus | © Gabi Luka / Shutterstock
"I am coming soon"
This Jamaican expression literally means: I'll be right there. But if you're told I'm coming soon, don't be fooled. Time on the island is much slower than the rest of the world and this phrase should be interpreted to range from a few hours to a few days.
'Woe yuh ah see'
Literally translated as "What are you saying?" , but actually means "how are you". For example: Weh yuh a seh? Mi deh try call yuh means, "How are you? I tried to call you."
Jamaican man | © Craig F. Scott / Shutterstock
'Inna di morrows'
Used when saying goodbye. The literal translation would be "In the morning hours", which means "see you later".
Bob Marley sang about her in Duppy Conqueror and Ian Fleming mentioned her in Live and Let Die. In a country where superstition rules by day and duppies (ghosts) haunt the night, religion is more than just a prayer before you go to bed in Jamaica. This expression implies a fearless person who overcomes obstacles and difficulties. The literal translation is "conqueror of spirits".
Colonial Church in Jamaica | © KKulikov / Shutterstock
This term means harm or destroy. For example, Mi mash up mi fone means "I broke my phone". This is a popular expression, and even street signs will advise drivers to put their brakes on. Meaning slow down.
Religion peppers all aspects of Jamaican life and wishes people a good day by using the term bless up. Blessings can also be used.
Probably the most famous Jamaican greeting, this was even used by US President Barack Obama on his inaugural visit to Jamaica. Wah Gwaan is a casual greeting to find out what someone is like or what's going on.
'Mi deh yah, yuh know'
Impress locals with this handy phrase often used in response to Wah Gwaan. The secret is in the pronunciation, and the trick is to say it quickly - almost like a word. While the literal translation is "I'm here," the implied meaning is "everything is fine" or "I'm fine."
Guzumba means Obeah, which is similar to Haiti Voodoo and is the practice of black magic. Obeah men can still be found practicing this outlaw craft in Jamaica. An Obeah man can cast or break a spell, go into a shamanic trance or, as it is said, even bring someone back from the dead.
Street performers in Falmouth, Jamaica | © Ozphotoguy / Shutterstock
Meaning see 'you later' or 'goodbye'. For example, I see yuh likkle more den - I'll see you later.
Jamaican woman in St. Ann, Jamaica | © Yevgen Belich / Shutterstock
"John Crow, yuh waan flip a wing"
John-Crow is a Jamaican bird known throughout North America as the turkey buzzard. The phrase Yuh waan flap a wing, which dancehall fans will undoubtedly be familiar with, is a phrase used to make a girl dance.
When something is chaka-chaka, it means bad quality, disorganized, and chaotic.
This is a term used to describe a street-going tough guy. It's also a type of music usually abbreviated as ragga, which is a sub-genre of dancehall music and reggae.
'Kick Up Rumpus'
Doing rumpus means having a jolly time. It was also the title of a hit 1985 song by Colourman and Jackie Knockshot.
Author: Bobby Schwartz
Bobby Schwartz is a 39 year old journalist. Free creator. Pop culture enthusiast. Wannabe Twitter guru. Coffee fanatic. Travel junkie. Incurable TV fan.
- How do city buses work
- Why are jacksepticeye and markiplier so popular
- What is a normal annual salary increase
- How did people remove barbed arrowheads?
- How does human behavior affect society 1
- What is the purpose of fashion week
- Which MBTI types are the most intuitive
- Has passed Trump's Muslim ban
- What does the word apostle mean
- How much does a dimphenhydramine cost?
- Why do we use mass transfer
- Which gemstones are rarer than diamonds
- Do conservatives prefer an ethnically white America
- What will be brought to Canada
- How did it save your life to be negative?
- How to make quiche without milk
- Where is the Ethereum core software running?
- How was Pep Guardiola as a player
- What is opal good for?
- Will they remove President Trump through impeachment
- Why do ducks sometimes eat baby ducks
- How effective was the medieval armor
- What are creative ways to regain trust
- Violence is always political
- What is Flexi Deposit
- What is the cheapest semi-precious stone
- Why do the Chinese give red envelopes
- Why is marriage important to a man
- Why do some people seem so flat
- What is the UNPO Indonesia Relationship
- Which series should I watch 1
- Is Rahul Gandhi hated for no reason
- Moluccan cockatoo is a good pet
- What is the original word of the pronunciation