When was New Zealand found
The first European to sight the country was the Dutch Abel Tasman. He probably didn't go into it. That was probably in the middle of the 17th century. It did not set until 1769 James M. Cook actually became the first European to set foot on New Zealand soil.
The first settlers hesitated
But the settlers came very hesitantly at the beginning, the country was somehow at the end of the world. Whalers, sealers and missionaries were the first to fight the Maori for their land. It was not until 1840 that the number of Europeans who wanted to settle permanently on the New Zealand islands increased.
In 1840 New Zealand was declared a British colony. In fact, the Maori and the British should have equal rights, he said Waitangi Treaty firm, but in reality the Maori were oppressed by the white population. The Europeans brought in diseases such as measles, smallpox and tuberculosis and spread epidemics against which the inhabitants had no defenses.
The way to self-employment
Again and again there were clashes with the original inhabitants, the Maori, who were not happy about the newly arrived inhabitants who were fighting for their land. While the number of white settlers, considered by the Maori Pakehas marked, steadily grew, that of the Maori dwindled more and more. From 1841 New Zealand was a separate crown colony. In 1852 it received its own constitution and in 1856 almost complete internal self-government.
From 1860 gold was also found. As a result, more and more adventurers came who were looking for their luck in the "land of the great white cloud". Around 1900 there were around 800,000 residents, made up of British, Maori, but also Chinese, Irish, Germans and Scandinavians.
By the way, New Zealand was one of the first countries to do that Women's suffrage introduced in 1893.
- What is a small small medium sized company
- Did Bernie Sanders support or reject Brexit?
- Which agricultural business should I start
- Are copyrighted photos allowed on Tumblr
- Stop growing plants
- What does a doctorate do for you
- How does Donald Trump reflect Christian values
- Why isn't grunting illegal in women's tennis?
- What is an income statement
- Why do some people have no motivation
- Hate loners, lonely people
- Have Sikhs withdrawn from Khalistan
- How do disc brakes work
- How do narcissists catch you
- Donald Trump is a deadbeat
- How stressful is studying at Cambridge
- What do foreigners think of Sikhs?
- How do you deal with social expectations
- What are examples of four string instruments
- Why is Ambedkar important
- Which gem suits me
- Why is narcissism a bad quality
- How to make a puffy dress
- What does engagement and marriage mean