Which vitamins are a must
Minimum quantities: so many vitamins or minerals must be in there!
What must be on the packaging?
If you find information or health-related advertising claims about a vitamin or mineral on a food supplement (NEM), the product must contain certain minimum quantities of this nutrient. The food information regulation in Annex XIII regulates how much that is. There you will find the so-called EU-wide reference quantities (NRV, Nutrition Reference Values) for vitamins and minerals in food. The NRV are quantitative data that are intended to make it easier to compare dietary supplements, among other things, and to ensure that a certain minimum amount of a nutrient is included.
The reference amount for an NEM has nothing to do with the reference values recommended by the German Nutrition Society (D-A-CH reference values) for the daily intake of a vitamin or mineral as part of normal nutrition. Both values can differ significantly as the table below shows.
What is the minimum quantity?
In order for a nutrient to be explicitly mentioned on the packaging, e.g. "with calcium", a daily portion of the NEM must contain at least 15% of the reference amount. With calcium that would be 120 mg. What this means for the individual nutrients can be found in the table.
Reference values for vitamins and minerals only
There are no prescribed reference values for many other ingredients in dietary supplements. These include, for example, certain secondary plant substances like lutein, lycopene, zeaxanthin or resveratrol. Nevertheless, the amounts contained per daily dose must be specified, just without any percentage information.
The same applies to many Plant extracts such as ginkgo or lucuma. Amino acids are not regulated either, omega-3 fatty acids inasmuch as quantities are prescribed for certain advertising messages.
|Vitamin / mineral||NRV per day||Minimum amount per day|
when advertised (15% NRV)
|Recommended by the DGE|
daily intake for 25-50 year olds (male / female)
|Vitamin A (μg)||800||120||100 / 80|
|Vitamin D (μg)||5||0,75||20**|
|Vitamin E (mg)||12||1,8||14 /12|
|Vitamin K (μg)||75||11,25||70 /61*|
|Vitamin C (mg)||80||12||110 / 95|
|Thiamine / B1 (mg)||1,1||0,165||1,2 / 1,0|
|Riboflavin / B2 (mg)||1,4||0,21||1,4 / 1,1|
|Niacin / B3 (mg)||16||2,4||15 /12|
|Vitamin B6 (mg)||1,4||0,21||1,6 / 1,4|
|Folic acid (μg)||200||30||300|
|Vitamin B12 (μg)||2,5||0,38||4,0|
|Biotin (μg)||50||7,5||30 - 60*|
|Pantothenic acid / B5 (mg)||6||0,9||6*|
|Chromium (μg)||40||6||30 - 100*|
|Iron (mg)||14||2,1||10 / 15|
|Fluoride (mg)||3,5||0,53||3,8 / 3,1|
|Copper (mg)||1||0,15||1,0 - 1,5*|
|Magnesium (mg)||375||56,3||350 / 300|
|Manganese (mg)||2||0,30||2,0 - 5,0*|
|Molybdenum (μg)||50||7,5||50 - 100*|
|Selenium (μg)||55||8,25||70 / 60*|
|Zinc (mg)||10||1,5||14 / 8|
** if there is no in-house production
- What are some unknown facts about rodent coil
- Should society suppress the freedom to maintain order
- What are some amazing things about Batman
- What are some examples of failed propaganda
- Cancer is an inevitable consequence of aging
- Do you know that Jesus drank wine?
- Why do foreigners join the ISKCON movement?
- Are doctors more respected than engineers
- Are sexism and racism based on repression
- When did life feel empty?
- Can I learn C and small talk at the same time?
- Who uses the word secular in India
- How does soil erosion occur
- How long does someone need time alone
- What is a dialyzer
- What is the most futuristic music of all
- What are some must dos in Barbados
- What is account-based ticketing ABT
- Can developing countries compete with industrialized countries?
- Who is the best Formula 1 driver
- What are some characteristics of black privilege
- Why do German citizens emigrate to Canada?
- What is more green LNG or LPG
- Why is Scotland so pro-EU
- What is the configuration entropy
- What makes you very sentimental
- What are some creative nicknames for Steven
- Why should I use Facebook
- What is the most misunderstood religion
- What is treason in Britain
- What is tuna
- Should the punishment of the students not take place
- What is the mixing ratio for the stand
- What is the Babylonian Captivity 1309 1377