Is God a myth or a reality
Non-fiction: Much: Between myth and reality - Judaism as it really is
Because the God of the Hebrew Bible is not - as Luther incorrectly translated - the "God of vengeance", but - in the correct translation of Martin Buber - the "God of retribution", who, also according to the Christian view, both punishes and - and above all - the good rewarded ("For his anger strikes us only for a moment, but his goodness surrounds us for life"; Ps 30,6).
Even the Talion's law "An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth" (Ex 21, 23), which is misunderstood and often cited, has nothing to do with the desire for revenge. This is a social law, a legal principle of proportionality, in the sense of "measure for measure". Because, due to an incorrect translation of the Bible by Luther, the Hebrew word "tachat" (= instead of) has become the word "about" or "for", which turns the meaning of this Bible word completely upside down (Pinchas Lapide).
Even in biblical times (see: Ex 21: 18-19) it was only a matter of a balanced compensation that a perpetrator had to reimburse his victim for pain inflicted, loss of earnings and cure. The same is affirmed in the Talmud ("about compensation"). In the Mishnah we read: "Whoever injures his neighbor can be obliged to do five things: for depreciation, for pain, for cure, for loss of time and shame (...) Has he blinded his eye, cut off a hand or one Broken foot, you look at the injured party as if he were a slave (...), and you estimate how much he was worth and how much he is now (...) So you estimate how much a Man would ask if he had to endure the same. "
Theodor Much: "It is an anti-Jewish paradox of history that Judaism, whose laws demand mercy, neighborly love, compassion and justice, was and is subject to a strict law of retribution. This perverted interpretation of Jewish law is also often used in politics of the State of Israel in relation to its enemies. "
Theodor Much: Between Myth and Reality - Judaism as it really is. (completely revised and expanded new edition) Edition Va bene 250 pages, 24.90 euros.
- How do you get things done quickly
- Rome was a dictatorship
- As is known, Canada is worldwide
- How do banks set interest rates
- What teaches children the most
- How do I find my train station
- Where I can publish a book internationally
- Why don't people go to INTJs
- Why do Spanish Andalusians look like Arabs
- How much overtime can someone work
- What is the definition of pub food
- How many different types of travelers are there
- Why doesn't East Timor integrate into Australia?
- Japanese home cooks make ramen
- How convenient is it to freeze time
- How can collectivism work in capitalist societies
- Why is PetroChina NYSE PTR stock falling
- What is the UNPO Chagos Relationship
- Rich sugar mummies in Nigeria Nigeria
- What are the merits of the reservation
- Is Milstein a Jewish name
- Is urea acidic or basic
- Why are baby chicks yellow
- Why do people hate making decisions
- Are there Nigerians who live in Alaska
- Is Marrakech safe to visit alone
- How to choose knitting yarn
- What does bomboklaat
- What do you think of Poland
- How is AMU
- What are some lovely heartwarming historical facts
- Why are white people not seen as ethnically diverse
- Who's the best new school rapper
- What is the best vanilla cake recipe