Can parents be brought to Canada

Corona / Covid-19 in Canada

Canadian authorities have closed the border

Due to the measures taken by the Canadian government to limit the number of corona infections, it is currently not possible - except in exceptional situations - to travel to Canada with an eTA. On this page you can read what you have to pay attention to and what effects this has on your eTA.

Corona (Covid-19) in Canada

The number of confirmed infections in Canada has now risen to more than seven hundred thousand, and more than eighteen thousand Canadians have died from Covid-19. The Canadian government has taken measures to contain the further spread of the virus. For the time being, therefore, only Canadian nationals and persons with a Canadian residence permit and their family members and persons who have an objectively undeniable (“essential”) reason to travel to Canada are allowed to travel to Canada despite the entry restrictions. An entry ban applies to all other travelers. It is unknown how long the entry ban will remain in force.

The consequences for traveling to Canada and the eTA

The temporary entry ban also applies to people who already have a valid eTA. It is not yet possible to estimate how long the entry ban will still apply. The Canadian authorities may be adding additional entry requirements to the lifting of the entry ban, but a decision has not yet been made on this.

The eTA can very well be applied for and is also granted

Even if it is currently hardly possible to travel to Canada, the eTA Canada can certainly be applied for. Since this travel authorization is valid for five years, you have plenty of time to wait and see when your travel to Canada can take place. ETAs that have already been granted remain valid, despite the entry ban, until the end of validity indicated on the eTA itself or until you receive a new passport (whichever comes first). The average processing time for the eTA application until the eTA is issued is still 72 hours.

A stopover with transit in Canada is also possible

Despite the entry ban, you can travel to your final destination with a stopover or transit in Canada on presentation of your flight ticket. You do not need a special eTA or travel authorization for this, just use the normal eTA. You must therefore also meet the same requirements. Due to the corona pandemic, you are not allowed to leave the terminal (the transit area of ​​the airport) during your transit.

For a transit or a trip in the future after the entry restrictions have been lifted, you can already apply for an eTA Canada using the regular online application process.

Apply for eTA Canada

Limited group of people who are allowed to travel to Canada despite the border being closed

There is a distinction between "immediate family members" and other family members of Canadian citizens and residents. Close family members can travel to Canada without further authorization, but must have an eTA or visa and provide evidence at both the airport and passport control in Canada that they are the close family members of a Canadian citizen or resident. and proof of that person's citizenship or residency in Canada. Close family members include the partners and minor children of residents of Canada, as well as anyone who is the parent of a (financially) dependent child who is legally resident in Canada. (Financially) dependent children are typically children under the age of 21 living in Canada who are unmarried or disabled.

Germans, Austrians and Swiss who are not close family members of citizens or residents of Canada must apply for a separate permit from the Canadian IRCC (on the website) in addition to their eTA. You must fill out the "application for authorization and statutory declaration" form for the application and then submit this completed form with the relevant evidence. Germans, Austrians and Swiss who want or have to travel to Canada for another essential reason must fill out a web form on the IRCC website in which they state why they urgently need to travel to Canada . This includes, for example, people who need to travel to Canada for a funeral or to care for a loved one.

Recommendations for people in Canada

If you are in Canada there is no obligation or recommendation to return to Germany (Austria / Switzerland) urgently. To reduce the risk of contagion, the Canadian authorities recommend the following measures:

  • Maintain good hygiene (wash your hands regularly for 20 seconds, cough or sneeze in a disposable handkerchief or in your elbows, and touch your face as little as possible)
  • Stay at home if you have complaints or if you are at increased risk
  • Avoid crowded areas and body contact. Always keep a distance of 2 meters from other people. Limit travel, and certainly during peak hours, unless absolutely necessary
  • Disinfect objects that you touch
  • Wear mouth and nose protection (medical or non-medical) safely in public, enclosed spaces

The recommended actions change quickly. You should therefore observe national and local recommendations.

No reimbursement of the costs for the Canada eTA is possible

Once you have submitted an eTA application and it is processed by the Canadian Immigration Services, you cannot cancel it. The Canadian government will not reimburse the cost of applying for an eTA, even if you can no longer use the eTA. Eventually, because of the long overall validity period, you can still use your eTA if you travel to Canada within 5 years from the time you received it (or until your current passport expires). Check with your travel or cancellation insurance company, or with the tour operator you would travel to Canada with, for any compensation for costs you may incur due to the travel restrictions caused by the coronavirus.

Disclaimer: Despite regular updates, due to the rapid spread of the coronavirus, it cannot be guaranteed that the information on this page about the coronavirus and traveling with an eTA is always complete and up-to-date.

Last change on this page: January 19, 2021