Why did Lee Kuan Yew die
Lee Kuan Yew has died : Founder of the success of Singapore is dead
Lee Kuan Yew, the first Prime Minister of Singapore, has died at the age of 91. The politician Lee served as head of the city-state for 31 years and still served in the government until 2011. Lee was on the one hand praised for his achievement in making Singapore an economically highly developed and extremely important location. On the other hand, his undemocratic style of government was viewed quite critically.
Lee "fell asleep peacefully" in the hospital, the Singapore government announced on Sunday. His son, current Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, was "deeply saddened" by his father's death.
In 1959, Lee Kuan Yew became the first Prime Minister of Singapore, which had been a British colony until then. In his reign, which lasted more than three decades, Singapore transformed from a sleepy port city into a modern trading metropolis. Lee received the highest praise for his economic policy, which made Singapore a success model for the region, at a meeting with US President Barack Obama in Washington in 2009: "This is one of the most legendary figures in Asia in the 20th and 21st centuries," said Obama his guest at the time. Politicians like Helmut Schmidt or Henry Kissinger were always full of praise for Lee.
Lee was also sharply criticized for his autocratic style of government. He has been accused of being too patronizing about Singaporeans by banning chewing gum, spitting in public and even interracial marriages. The avowed Macchiavelli admirer also acted brutally against opposition forces in the city-state.
In 1990 Lee resigned as head of government, but served as an advisor in the government of his two successors for two decades. Tsp / AFP
- Regret something 1
- Why do medical professionals commit suicide?
- Why are some Indians idiots
- Are Quorans anti-Islamic
- Nancy Pelosi will take over Trump's presidency
- How long would humans survive without bees
- Why should soldiers march at the same time?
- What does the landlord insurance cover you for?
- How do people become addicted to sweets
- Where can I buy manukaoel
- The prison actually rehabilitates people
- Is NAS a good backup solution?
- Are INFPs narcissistic
- How is home childcare regulated?
- How is life going for you
- Most people really care about something
- Why concrete mix design is used
- How often should you really reapply sunscreen?
- Was religion needed for human development?
- It's a damn bad word
- How do banks help people
- What's the biggest trap for teenagers
- How do you buy clothes
- Why do most teenagers die by suicide