What kind of jewelry is the best
Jewelry made of gold and silver: recognizing good quality
Not only jewelers, but also more and more department stores and online shops offer a huge selection of gold and silver jewelry. But there are big differences in quality.
by Anneke Müller
The so-called real jewelery is usually not made from the pure precious metal, but mixed ("alloyed") with other metals. An alloy increases the hardness and polishability, especially in gold jewelry. This makes the piece of jewelery more robust and suitable for everyday use.
A label indicates the fineness of a gold alloy: "750 gold" means, for example, that 750 out of 1,000 parts of the piece of jewelery consist of gold. The remaining proportions vary depending on the desired color nuance, i.e. yellow gold, white gold or rose gold.
Fineness of jewelry made of gold and silver
In Germany the following are Gold alloys common:
- 18 carat, 50 gold = 75% fine gold and 25% silver / copper
- 14 carat, 585 gold = 58.5% fine gold and 41.5% silver / copper
- 9 carat, 375 gold = 37.5% fine gold and 62.5% silver / copper / zinc / tin
- 8 carat, 333 gold = 33.3% fine gold and 66.7% silver / copper / palladium / platinum / nickel
At Silver jewelry a 925 alloy (also called sterling silver) is most commonly used. Usually the remaining 7.5% consists of copper.
Metal in jewelry can cause allergies
Silver, gold and platinum are considered biocompatible. This means that they are usually well tolerated by the body and do not cause allergies. The body rarely reacts to metals such as titanium.
Additions of metals such as nickel are problematic. The body recognizes the material as an "intruder" and reacts with skin irritation. In order to prevent allergies, you should inform yourself about the alloy of the piece of jewelery before buying. If you want to know exactly, you can have your dermatologist test you for metal allergies.
Real gemstones or zirconia?
An important criterion for the value of a piece of jewelry is the quality of the stone. A basic distinction is made here between a synthetically produced artificial crystal (zirconia) and real gemstones or gemstones.
Higher prices for pure and rare gemstones
The term gemstones includes diamonds and colored gemstones. In gemstones, the cut mineral has the highest possible transparency (purity) and a certain rarity. This results in a higher price than for other gemstones that are more common in nature, for example moonstone or rose quartz.
Hardly any gemstone has a flawless and completely intact crystal structure. In most cases, deposits of foreign minerals or fine cracks can be found, which are referred to as inclusions. These are not welcome with gemstones as they can have a negative effect on color, brilliance and durability. Exception: An emerald, for example, almost always has inclusions, this does not reduce the value.
What is the price of diamonds?
Diamonds are among the most valuable raw materials. Four factors determined the price:
- Cut type: The best-known cut for diamonds is the brilliant cut, which is why diamonds treated in this way are called brilliant-cut diamonds. The cut of a diamond is the basis for the sparkle of the stone.
- colour: There is a fixed color scale for diamonds from "very fine white" to "tinted white". A diamond in very fine white shines the most, one with a tinted white the least.
- carat: The weight of a diamond is given in carats, the unit of measurement for the mass of precious stones. One carat is equal to 0.2 grams. The higher the carat value of a diamond, the more valuable it is.
- purity: In the case of diamonds, the degree of purity is classified very precisely - from flawless to clearly visible inclusions that greatly reduce the shine of the diamond.
Throw pearls in front of the swine
Even if there are still natural pearls to be dipped for, most pearls come from a farm. Experts distinguish the following types of pearls:
- Tahitian cultured pearls are obtained from pearl oysters of the South Seas. They have black to black-green color nuances and are characterized by an intense shimmer.
- South Sea cultured pearls: The rare cultured pearl comes mainly from salt waters near Indonesia and the South Pacific islands. It shimmers in silver white, champagne or warm gold tones.
- Shell pearls: They are made from the finely ground mother-of-pearl of the oyster and always have a perfect shape with a smooth surface.
- Freshwater cultured pearls: They are created by countless wafer-thin layers of mother-of-pearl that form inside a pearl oyster. Due to modern cultivation processes, freshwater cultured pearls are now considered to be mass-produced goods with a value in the cent range.
Check workmanship and material before purchasing
If you want to enjoy your jewelry for a long time, you should pay attention to the processing when buying:
- Chain eyes should be soldered so that they don't tear. Carabiner must not be too soft. Otherwise they can give in and war off.
- In the case of gemstones, the stones should be firmly in the Version so-called prong settings securely enclose the stone.
- Also watch out for misleading information about the material like "in gold" or "color gold". These designations do not mean that gold was used as a material.
Cleaning silver: tips and home remedies
How does tarnished silver shine again? Markt compares special cleaners and an ultrasonic device. Are they more effective than home remedies like baking soda or toothpaste? more
This topic in the program:
Market | 12/21/2020 | 8:15 pm
- Is it possible to make halal pork?
- Which is better Telegram or Telegram X.
- Which house is for wealth in astrology
- How can construction software be used commercially
- How can I relive some past memories
- Where is Spring Manufacturing Company in India
- What if the Qing Dynasty never existed?
- What is an example of economic problems
- There are rings in half sizes
- Can racist insults be registered as trademarks?
- What are brands like Balmain famous for?
- How do I use a vape pen
- Fedex shipping centers accept UPS packages
- Can we learn jewelry CAD online
- Are zircons made by people
- Why does blood taste salty 1
- Why is bleach such an incredible disinfectant
- Dallas becomes a criminal city
- Why don't my kids respect me
- How much do professional models earn
- How do I get jobs in 2020
- What is the best lunch box for kids
- 1330 is a good SAT score
- Is high school still all about popularity?