What's wrong with Apple's butterfly keyboard
Class action lawsuit: The butterfly keyboard on various MacBooks could cost Apple even more
In the video embedded below, Apple presents the 12-inch MacBook - the presentation is still worth seeing today, because even more than six years later, the device still looks futuristic. In order to be able to build such a thin, light notebook, Apple has introduced a whole series of innovations, from the extremely popular Force Touch trackpad to the fan-free design with an Intel Core M processor, which has ensured a modest performance, to the now infamous butterfly keyboard.
From about 04:10 onwards, Apple's Phil Schiller explains the functionality and the supposed advantages of this keyboard. Due to the newly developed switch mechanism, it should not only be significantly thinner than conventional laptop keyboards, Apple also spoke of more stable keys and more precise lighting. However, these advantages cannot compensate for the lack of reliability, because if even a little dust gets into the mechanism, individual keys can already fail, and repairs are costly as these cannot be individually replaced.
In the years that followed, Apple also built this keyboard into the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro, up to the models that were introduced in 2019. Despite some adjustments, the keyboard was not more reliable years later, so Apple started an exchange program through which MacBook keyboards can be exchanged free of charge up to four years after a model has been launched. Obviously, this is not enough for customers and lawyers, because a new class action lawsuit has been launched in the USA, which is supposed to bring about compensation for the affected customers.
The reason: With the free repair, a defective butterfly keyboard is exchanged for a new one based on the same mechanism, so that sooner or later it will have problems again. The class action was filed back in 2018, but was not certified by Judge Edward Davila until March 8, 2021 and has now been published. How expensive the class action lawsuit will ultimately be for Apple will depend primarily on how many customers will join.
- Who loves to shop online
- Will South Korea collapse in 2020
- Should India be made a Hindu country
- Donald Trump is credible at all
- Is Bhim Rao Ambedkar highly overrated
- Are you bored 1
- What motivates all people
- Are the Russians white
- How are transgender people treated in Kenya
- What are the approaches of the software test
- Is there a love for everyone
- Why do some Turks hate Islam?
- Can diamonds be pierced
- Should women reserve seats in Parliament
- Who is the CEO of Thomson Reuters
- How can I accept my own nationality
- Should I take an IQ test
- What are the different types of bricks
- Can animals commit murder?
- How do banks help people
- What causes smegma breath
- Why is Encinitas CA so liberal
- What is pearl
- Is Nepal a Hindu or Secular Country?
- Is Trump friends with Russia
- Are Armenia and Azerbaijan oriental countries
- When does a person fall in love
- What are the worst forms of uncertainty
- Will Halo Infinite restore Halo's reputation
- Is tobacco a European or American product?
- What are examples of liberal values
- Google has manual software testers
- Have you ever experienced something that you regret?
- What are Indian Muslims doing wrong