Which is better fashion marketing or merchandising
Fashion marketing studies
The course content in the fashion marketing degree is a mix of general business administration, management, of course, proper marketing as well as specifics from the fashion industry. You should learn which marketing and management skills are necessary to work as a fashion marketer, what makes the fashion industry tick and what challenges it holds in store for marketing professionals.
So that you can get an idea of the course content, we list the typical subjects that a bachelor's degree in fashion marketing contains:
- Basics of business administration and economics
- Fashion theory, fashion history
- Communication science basics
- Brand management
- Media psychology
- Market research and target group analysis
- Trend management
- Fashion design, fashion production
- Creativity training
- Image and photography
- Communication design and techniques
- Corporate Design
In order to prepare you for the (fashion) world of work in an interdisciplinary manner, there are also projects on the curriculum as well as courses to train soft skills (presentation, moderation, team building, etc.).
Note that this is only an excerpt from possible course content. Each university designs its fashion marketing studies a little differently. You can find the specific modules in the curricula of the universities.
Who is for one Mastsr in fashion marketing interested, will have very similar subjects on the timetable. However, there is usually even more emphasis on business administration subjects (corporate management, personnel management, organization).
Suitable universities for fashion marketing
To be able to apply, you have to meet the formal requirements. But personal requirements also play a major role in the success of your studies.
- General higher education entrance qualification (Abitur) or advanced technical college entrance qualification (Fachabitur) / equivalent qualification)
- Alternatively: Professional qualification (→ More on the topic: Studying fashion without a high school diploma)
- Motivation letter
- Passing a selection process
- Completed first degree (bachelor's degree or equivalent) with professional relevance (fashion management, economics, business administration or similar)
- partially certain grade, for example 2.5 or better
Fashion marketing or fashion marketing is mostly offered by private universities. This means that there is no Numerus Clausus (NC), but good grades are also welcomed here. But what counts even more is a good application, in other words: a convincing letter of motivation. And in the second step, there is usually another selection process, which either consists of an interview or an aptitude test and a personal interview.
More about application procedures for fashion courses
Interest in fashion and trends is one thing. The other thing is the marketing aspect. For your studies, you should also be able to think in business administration and be interested in a wide variety of forms of marketing. For example, you should like to evaluate data and be interested in economic topics. But you also need a good dose of creativity as well as the gift of tracking trends and being able to empathize with your target group. It is ideal if you are interested in online topics and new media, because online marketing is an important sub-area. But shopfitting and the presentation of fashion in shops are also topics that you should be interested in.
- Duration: 6 semesters
- Graduation: Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)
- Project semester or practical semester usual
- Duration: 4 semesters
- Graduation: Master of Arts (M.A.)
- partly including internship
The bachelor's and master's degree programs in fashion marketing or fashion marketing are offered exclusively in Full time offered.
If you want to do a dual degree, i.e. one that combines practice and theory in equal parts, you should look around in the area of fashion management. The same applies if you are already working and want to continue your job during your studies. In the area of fashion management (which includes fashion marketing to a small extent), courses are also offered alongside work.
Did you know that...
... the most expensive bag in the world is the "Tribute Patchwork Bag"? It was designed by Louis Vuitton and costs just under $ 42,000.
... Ralph Lauren is actually called Ralph Lifshitz and was born in the Bronx as the son of Belarusians?
... the hard end of the shoelace is called pink?
Career after studying fashion marketing
After studying fashion marketing, you can get started in marketing for companies that sell fashion, but you can also work for companies that produce fashion themselves. Marketing does not necessarily mean marketing for the end consumer, i.e. the person who buys a fashion item, but can also mean marketing that is carried out between companies. Because brands, manufacturers and wholesalers sell to retailers. As a marketing manager, brand manager, product manager or sales manager, the entire fashion industry is open to you. Here are some examples:
- Fashion retail (stationary and online), fashion mail order business
- Fashion label
- Textile industry
- Cosmetics industry
- Trend and market research
- Advertising agencies and PR firms
- Fashion journalism (magazines, blogs)
- Advertising and design agencies
- Marketing departments of companies
- Media company
- Fashion fairs
What do the tasks look like in everyday working life? We'll give you an example so that you can get a first impression.
A marketing manager has an overview of all marketing processes for a product, a collection or an entire brand. He develops advertising campaigns in cooperation with the creative department and agencies, ensures a good image of the brand with targeted PR, develops concepts for acquiring new customers and analyzes the needs of the target group in order to align marketing to them. Depending on the company, marketing managers work strategically (brainstorming, implementation of concepts) and operationally (texts, editorial work, carry out analyzes). Marketing managers therefore occupy interface positions and work with many different areas of the company - from management to customer service.
Get to know other professions in the fashion industry. In our Professional world section we introduce you to numerous professions that you can do after studying fashion.
Professions with fashion
How well do you earn in fashion or fashion marketing? Well, that depends very much on your position. While beginners and employees without strategic responsibility have to be satisfied with salaries starting at a good 2,500 euros (gross) per month, marketing managers with managerial responsibility can easily earn 5,000 euros (gross). It is clear that there are more "normal" positions to be filled than management positions and that a high salary is not common. However, very few marketers earn badly! With a little professional experience and responsibility, 3,500 euros (gross) are absolutely realistic. Above all, it is important to be up to date and to train yourself regularly. Because marketing is particularly dynamic, just think of the possibilities and developments in online marketing.
So that you can get an impression of the salary figures of marketing specialists, we have researched numbers for you:
|Job:||Gender, Age:||Company size:||Monthly salary (gross):|
|Fashion Expert / Online Marketing||w, 19 years||small||1.682 €|
|Product manager textile||w, 32 years||medium||4.573 €|
|Product manager fashion||w, 26 years||small||1.901 €|
|Director of Sales Luxury Hotels||w, 44 years||large||4.362 €|
|Sales Manager International in Fashion||m, 27 years||small||3.255 €|
|Fashion editor||w, 45 years||small||4.231 €|
|Fashion editor||w, 26 years||small||1.719 €|
|Junior Fashion Product Editor||w, 29 years||large||2.516 €|
Company size: 1-20 employees = small | 21-100 employees = medium | 101-1,000 employees = large | > 1,000 employees = very large
Please note that these are only examples. There are always deviations upwards and downwards.
In our big salary article we explain to you what you can earn in the fashion industry and, above all, what the specific salary level can depend on.
Salary in the fashion industry
- How much does a dimphenhydramine cost?
- How do people live who earn 200,000
- How can an EKG detect enlarged hearts
- What is the best alcohol delivery service
- Why do you live in America
- What is the original word of the pronunciation
- What kind of jewelry is the best
- Does our karma affect our destiny
- When can a US military resign?
- Why has Gmail got painfully slow
- What almost ruined your life
- Is diamond stronger than graphene
- Is JKT48 actually popular with Indonesians
- How does science contribute to technology
- Why are leopards afraid of hyenas
- How do investors see individual technical founders
- How does it feel to be white
- How is Israel seen in your country?
- How is electricity generated in a lightbulb
- Who was affected by imperialism?
- What are your prayers to god today
- Where can I buy quinoa in India
- What was Twitter's involvement with Pivotal Labs
- What can we import from Dubai