Is a tomato a fruit
Are tomatoes a vegetable, fruit, or fruit?
It is not easy to answer whether the tomato is a fruit or a vegetable. There is still a lot of confusion when it comes to the correct assignment of the tasty plants. The properties and characteristics of the tomato can serve as clues.
Characteristics of tomatoes
Tomatoes have the botanical name Solanum lycopersicum and have only been grown in Europe since the 16th century. The heat-loving plants belong to the nightshade family and come from the western part of South America. The plants have become more and more popular over time and are now an integral part of the preparation of dishes. Especially in southern countries such as Greece, Italy and Spain there are many recipes based on tomatoes. Most of the dishes are hearty, but there are also some sweet dishes with tomatoes, such as jam.
Tomatoes are generally referred to as fruits, but they are used like vegetables. Tomatoes have many nutritious and health-promoting properties, they contain biotin, beta-carotene, folic acid and numerous vitamins.
- Tomato plants form closing fruits
- It is precisely defined as berries
- Fruits are spherical to oval in shape
- Seeds are stored in two separate chambers
- Fruit walls are edible
- Berries are 2 to 10 cm in size
- Grow as herbaceous crops
Definition of fruit
Fruit is a collective term for all fruits of plants that can be eaten raw. In addition, most fruits have a high sugar content and tend to be rather sweet. Berries, stone pits and stone fruits are classified as fruit, as well as nuts. With globalization, many exotic fruits have also established themselves in the domestic climes. Another clue about fruit is the stage of development of the fruit. If the fruit develops from the flower of the plant, it is fruit. This is the case with tomatoes, which transform from their yellow flowers and then form a red fruiting body.
- Fruits usually contain water
- Comes from perennial plants
- Grow on woody shrubs and trees
- Plants bear new fruits every year
- Have high sugar content
- Ideal for sweet dishes and desserts
Definition of vegetables
When it comes to vegetables, it is not just the fruiting body of a plant that is eaten. Often other parts of the plant are also edible. In addition, the collective term vegetables usually includes plant species that do not produce sweet fruits. Because tomatoes can have a sweet taste, for example cherry and cocktail tomatoes, but the base is a hearty note. In addition, every type of vegetable has flowers that grow apart from the plant parts used. In contrast, the tomatoes transform the flowers into fruits.
- With vegetables, the entire plant is often edible
- This includes leaves, stems, and roots
- Predominantly annual plants
- Vegetables have little or no sugar content
- Ideal for hearty dishes such as soups and sauces
Tip: In this country tomatoes can only be cultivated in the garden bed as an annual as the plants are not winter-proof.
Aren't tomatoes a vegetable, but a fruit?
In botany, tomatoes are now defined as fruit vegetables because they are neither fruit nor vegetables. More precisely, the fruit vegetables are plants that cannot be classified exactly into one of the two groups due to their growth characteristics and taste. This group also includes eggplants, cucumbers, pumpkins, melons, peppers and hot peppers.
- How can I become a prominent hairdresser
- Which book changed your mind about something?
- What was Twitter's involvement with Pivotal Labs
- Can we drill the core of the earth?
- Was communism Jewish?
- What does inflated ego mean
- What are some uses of generic bleach
- Dushka Zapata speaks Spanish
- Is nail polish bad for nails
- Regional political parties hinder national goals
- Henry Ford trained
- Is Meghan Markle really competitive
- What is your favorite materialistic possession
- Can be attacked easily in South America
- How Much Backlinking Can Help With Search Engine Optimization
- How is home childcare regulated?
- You can use a face wash every day
- Basques are white
- What is the US doing to Mexico
- How Much Do HVAC Entrepreneurs Make
- Can animals sense a bad mood in people?
- What is the state coat of arms of Chhattisgarh
- Is air freight cheaper or sea freight
- How can diamond burn in the air