Is Europe better than America
Welcome to the website of the Federal Foreign Office
Historically close economic and social cooperation
The connection between the European Union and the United States of America has historical roots: the US decision not to withdraw from Europe in 1945, as it did after the end of the First World War, provided an element of stability and security in times of the Cold War. This made it possible to tackle the project of European unification. Thus, the growing together of Europe after the Second World War was both a historic achievement by Europeans and a success of far-sighted American foreign policy.
Economically, North America and the EU are the most closely intertwined regions in the world. Transatlantic trade and mutual investment create growth and jobs in the EU and the US. In 2019, the US was the largest buyer of goods from the EU and the second largest exporter of goods to the EU. In 2019, the EU exported goods worth 384 billion euros to the USA and imported goods from there worth 232 billion euros (Eurostat). Americans invested three times as much in the EU as in all of Asia. EU citizens invested eight times as much in the US as in China and India combined (source: Eurostat).
The EU is central to pooling the interests of Germany and its European partners, for example in the trade sector. With just over 10 percent of the world's population, the EU and the USA generate around 46 percent of the world's gross national product, are responsible for around a third of global trade and a third of all patent applications. They account for 60 percent of global direct investment.
Canada and its society are also deeply connected to European traditions because of history. The political, economic and cultural cooperation with the European states and institutions is very close. A "Strategic Partnership Agreement" has served since 2016 to deepen cooperation between the EU and Canada, in particular on the issues of international peace and security policy, global governance, energy, research and development, the environment and climate change.
EU-Canadian trade has been regulated by the CETA joint trade agreement since 2018. This led to an increase in trading volume of 4.5 percent in 2019.
Canada supports EU Common Security and Defense Policy missions in Ukraine, Kosovo, Mali, Iraq and Palestine.
- Who was Yoda's Padawan Learner
- Will Irish SDLP MPs sit in Parliament?
- How has marriage changed your personality
- What made you dislike amusement parks?
- Are there any jobs in the Nagpur subway
- Is the Realme XT Pro 5G
- How is rape a crime?
- Has anyone ever willingly married a psychopath?
- Vietnam will produce high quality products
- Why are abs important
- What is the biggest diamond you have ever seen
- Which are the international airports in China
- How did you become a charming sociopath
- Why did the Nazis hate Eastern Europeans?
- How is SaaS products taxed?
- Why is cauliflower good for you
- How was Central Asia affected by World War II
- How much money does Markiplier
- Would Russia ever invade the US?
- Should I paint or replace my gutters?
- How can we get wealth in life
- How does the family affect linguistic identities?
- How do I start an international project
- What are better gloves or mittens