Why should I live in Calcutta
Suspended megacity, despite culture and traditionThe river Hooghly, tributary of the holy Ganges, shapes the image of Calcutta with its wide bridges. The megacity is located on the eastern edge of India and was once the political center.
The megacity of Calcutta in West Bengal (& copy NASA)
overviewCalcutta is located on the eastern edge of India, near the border with Bangladesh. With over 14 million inhabitants, the metropolitan region is currently the eighth largest urban agglomeration in the world. In India, Calcutta is the third most populous city in the country after Mumbai and Delhi.
Calcutta is located in the western Ganges delta on the Hooghly River, an estuary of the Ganges - the sacred river of the Hindus. Two cities belong to the core of the growing metropolitan region of Calcutta: Calcutta, on the eastern bank of the Hooghly, and Howrah on the western. The two twin cities are connected by several bridges across the Hooghly. But the hierarchy is clear: Calcutta is the more important of the two cities.
Modern Calcutta was founded in the early 17th century and experienced rapid growth. Until 1911, Calcutta was the capital of the British colonial power in India. But with India's independence in 1947 at the latest, Calcutta increasingly lost its importance. With the division of the subcontinent, the city slid to the eastern edge of the country. Thousands of refugees from East Pakistan, now Bangladesh, poured into the city after 1947. There were also internal migrants: To this day, many of them come from the nearby state of Bihar, one of the poorest in India. Calcutta was bursting at the seams: Illegal settlements emerged, some of them slums. Today Calcutta has the reputation of a poor house. The name of the city is closely linked to the Nobel Peace Prize laureate Mother Teresa, who founded a hospice in Calcutta and looked after the dying, orphans and sick until her death in 1997. But Calcutta is also an important center of India for art and culture.
- What happened to Bob Ross' wife
- How much of Canada is uninhabited
- Why don't autistic people join the military?
- Why is performance so important
- Can make dreams come true
- What is the biggest determinant of success?
- Is Guinness Stout actually a lager
- How would life be without education
- How Education Prevents Suicide
- What does a prison library look like
- What is your favorite Paul Newman performance
- Have to identify security personnel
- Is it good to talk a lot?
- What instruments are used in Sufi music
- Singapore Airlines have gone downhill
- How can I learn practical accounting skills
- What do you think of AIMIM
- What are the famous marketplaces in Ratlam
- Which airports do Chipotles have
- Are there any Bengali vegetarians out there
- Which country has the most unusual flag?
- Why don't Indians keep a real queue
- Google engineers are still top notch
- Why is Russia a capitalist country
- Is tobacco a European or American product?
- Do you know good little YouTubers
- Why is diplomatic immunity a thing
- Miss being in your 20s
- Is it difficult to weld underwater?
- What is China doing in Africa 1
- What new series can I see
- What kind of tree is that in Sri Lanka
- Girls fall in love with one-sided love
- How will Brexit affect companies?