What are the best gutters to install
Renewing gutters - how to do it and what it costs
Gutters are an important part of a roof as well as the entire house: The rain or condensation water is collected from the roof through them and then channeled through the downpipe into the ground or into a rain collection barrel. This process has several advantages: First of all, rain gutters protect residents and passers-by from being hit by water cascades. In addition, the rainwater can be collected and used for watering the garden or even as utility water (not drinking water) in the house.
And finally, and this is the most important reason, rain gutters protect the house from moisture penetration. Because without a rain gutter, the rain or condensation water would hit the facade and cause permanent damage. A roof structure is therefore only complete once a gutter has been attached. And damaged gutters should be repaired as soon as possible or, if the damage is too great, replaced.
Renew the gutter - DIY or specialist company?
Whether the gutter can be installed or renewed yourself or whether a specialist company wanted to be commissioned depends primarily on the gutter material selected: gutters made of copper or zinc usually have to be soldered or welded. In any case, this should be left to a specialist company. In any case, soldering or welding work should only be carried out by a person who has proven experience in this area.
Gutters made of plastic, on the other hand, are plugged or glued. Therefore, the installation of this type of gutters can also be carried out by a DIY enthusiast. In addition, the issue of safety must be taken into account when installing gutters: it is usually necessary to use scaffolding in order to have a secure footing when working. Ladders can only be used on very low roofs.
Roof specialist companies
- Nationwide network
- Qualified providers
Preparations - material and tool list
In order for the work to run smoothly, all materials and tools must be purchased or made available in advance.
- Gutter elements
- End pieces
- Drain piece for the downpipe
- Downpipe elements
- Downpipe bends
- screws and nuts
- Foliage net or trellis
- Loose and fixed clamp
- Verge sheet
- Site manager / scaffolding
- Wood saw
- Sandpaper / file
- Cordless screwdriver
- Spirit level
- Tin snips
- Folding rule / tape measure
Removal of the bottom row of roof tiles
A gutter is to a large extent under the roof covering. Therefore, the bottom row of roof tiles, shingles or stones must first be carefully removed. But first the distance between the edge of the brick and the edge of the roof must be measured. After the roof covering has been removed, the longitudinal batten can be measured. If there is no longitudinal batten (e.g. in garages or garden houses), one must first be installed.
Attachment and alignment of the gutter bracket
The gutter bracket, also called gutter iron, is attached to the longitudinal batten. Screws or nails are used for fastening. First, a gutter bracket is attached to the right and left edge of the roof. Now a guide line is attached to the highest and lowest point of the gutter on one side of the roof and stretched to the gutter on the other side of the roof. The gutter can now be aligned. The slope should be approx. 2 - 3 cm per 10 m. The channel irons are aligned with the help of a pair of pliers. The slope is checked using a spirit level. The other gutter irons are now attached at a distance of approx. 0.5 to 1.5 m.
Attachment of the gutter to the gutter iron
First, the gutter elements are sawn or cut to the appropriate length. Then the gutter elements can be inserted into the gutter iron. In doing so, the instructions given by the manufacturer on connection techniques must be taken into account. It starts with a corner piece and the drainage of the downpipe. When the gutter is completely installed, a leaf grille can be laid. In particular, this protects the downpipe from clogging. Finally, the roof plate is screwed to the substructure. It is important to pay attention to the correct length.
Correct installation of the downpipe
In the last step, the downpipe is attached. Care must be taken that the channel element with the downpipe drain and the downpipe itself fit together perfectly. The downpipe is attached to the house wall with pipe clamps or fixed clamps. The distance between the fastening elements should be approx. 2 m.
The cost of replacing a gutter
The cost of a new gutter depends on several factors:
- Choice of material
- Length of the roof
- Installation by yourself or by a specialist company
All prices are approximate values that can vary depending on the manufacturer and the quantity purchased.
- Copper gutters: 30 - 35 euros per m
- Downpipe made of copper including fastening material: 25 - 30 euros per m
- Zinc gutter: 20 - 25 euros per m
- Zinc downpipe including fastening material: approx. 20 euros per m
Important: These prices include labor costs
- Plastic gutter: approx. 5 euros per m
- Plastic downpipe including fastening material: just under 5 euros per m
Note: The labor costs are not included here, as the assembly can be done by a do-it-yourselfer.
Further costs at a glance:
- Use of a rolling tower: depending on the size, 125 to 200 euros per week
- Purchase price for tools if they are not available.
Roof specialist companies
Tip: Register for the newsletter now
Receive the most important news monthly and free of charge directly in your mailbox
- How is dopamine released
- What is the HR Competitive Advantage
- Can we have fruit after dinner
- Can human rights be changed?
- What makes you better than most people
- What's the scariest creepypasta you've ever read
- Do minorities feel threatened by Trump
- What should Indians learn from Punjabi people
- How would you get bored in Japan?
- What is the ideal communist propaganda
- What happens to my Salvation Army donations
- What is multichain
- Is dessert just an American thing
- How is the Canadian education system unique
- Is war just an excuse for genocide?
- Trump supporters are guilty of treason
- Are there racist double standards
- A French major is useful in Canada
- Is humanities a good degree
- Where is the fate written?
- Is Queen Elizabeth II. A Roman Catholic
- Are relationships for everyone
- Latin is considered the first Romance language
- Why did England not annex Ireland?