Edelweiss is Austria's national anthem
The edelweiss: the star of the Alps
The herbaceous plant with its white, felty star is popular and sought after in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. But two Americans made her world famous.
Text: Inga Dora Meyer
High up in the Alps, at dizzying heights, grows a small, almost inconspicuous flower that has cult status: the edelweiss - one of the most famous and most symbolic alpine flowers. It is rare and difficult to access, and if it is picked it will retain its shape and color for centuries. There is even a song about the star of the Alps. It begins with the words: "Edelweiss, Edelweiss, / You greet me every morning / I see you, / I'm happy / And forget’ my worries. / Decorate the homeland / Beautiful and white / You bloom like the stars. / Edelweiss, Edelweiss, / Oh, I love you so much. ”The curious thing about it: The song was written and composed by two Americans, Richard Rodgers (music) and Oscar Hammerstein (text). Neither of them were in the Alps, nor have they ever seen edelweiss in person. Nevertheless, many people believe that the song "Edelweiß" is an Austrian folk song. Or even, as Ronald Reagan once assumed when he received the Austrian Federal President Rudolf Kirchschläger with this song, the Austrian national anthem.
The edelweiss is not even a European plant. After the last ice age it migrated from the high steppes of Central Asia to the Alps. Relatives of edelweiss can be found in the high steppe areas of Asia.
In this country it was popular as a medicinal herb. It used to be boiled with milk and honey and used for stomach ache. This usage is also reflected in the Bavarian popular name "Bauchwehbleaml" (bellywehblümchen). Buddhist doctors still use the plant as medicine today.
These articles might also interest you
- Why does Putin hate homosexuals
- What is the richest city in Rwanda
- Have McDonalds ever closed a restaurant?
- Why do we need composites
- Can sadism be cured with psychiatric treatment
- What is your opinion on swear words
- Charlize Theron is African American
- How can publishers monetize content in 2019
- Is your 20s stressful
- Love is materialistic these days
- How has religion changed over the years
- England is ruled by the Queen
- Which Bollywood actresses have plastic surgery?
- Hyflux is a good investment
- Are health insurance premiums before taxes
- How do tech companies measure the productivity of their employees
- Cypriots are white
- Why should we adopt African fashion
- What are regimes
- Dallas becomes a criminal city
- What are the adverse effects of education
- How many people are currently attending UCLA?
- How do you recognize a creative person
- What does healthy stress look like
- Why are you not on Facebook
- What are some good arguments against patriotism
- Why is everyone avoiding me?
- Anyone can wear yellow sapphire
- Why do Greeks hate Turks historically?
- What can Americans learn from British politics
- Why is the color diamond yellow
- Donald is a Chinese spy
- How can I overcome Germany's cold weather
- Which technology does SeamlessWeb run on?